The Story of How We Met

The story started back in September 2013 when we were both about to embark our second year of university. A new halls of residence, a new flat, new faces. There were a total of six people (which included two of my friends) moving in to flat 30. Everyone arrived at different times, but the last one to arrive was a tall and handsome guy named Jonny. As the other girls introduced themselves, I sat back quietly thinking 'omg, I'm going to be living with this guy?!' and it must have been from that moment that I knew I wanted to be with him. After a few months, it soon became obvious to our flatmates that Jonny and I both fancied each other, but we were both too nervous to even mention it.



Second year went by in a flash and before we knew it, we were saying goodbye to all of our friends and heading back home for the summer. I think it was during this long time apart that Jonny and I realised how much we actually liked each other. We would text almost every day, asking how each of us were and what we were up to. One day, out of the blue (and I think after a couple of drinks), Jonny asked me if I wanted to go on a date when we went back to uni once the summer was over. Of course, I said yes and we planned what we would do up until we went back. We hadn't even been on a date, and I already knew how many children he wanted, what pet he wants and all of his dreams and ambitions in life. It's so crazy how we wanted exactly the same things!






The summer passed and our first date quickly arrived. We decided on a picnic date as we lived near a park (and I hate the idea of going to a restaurant on a first date!). With our picnic basket in toe filled with sandwiches, fruit, crisps and prosecco, we made our way to the park. We both were naturally quite nervous, so when it started raining that was the perfect way to break the ice; we quickly moved our picnic blanket and food under the nearest tree followed by lots of laughs and giggles. Minus the 30 seconds of rain, the rest of the date was sunny and we talked a lot and got to know each other better. A week later, we went on our second part of the date... ice skating! I had only been ice skating once before but I didn't know I was going to be so bad on the ice. Me being awful on the ice made the date more funny and cute and Jonny had to literally carry me around the ice skating rink for the full thirty minutes... it's a good job he could skate! 


The rest of the year was full of lovely days out together, nights out with our uni friends and working on our assignments. Some of my favourite memories together at university were when we had Christmas dinner with our flatmates (this was a year before we were even together), bonfire night, the Christmas markets and of course, all of the nights out! The year went by in a flash, and it was now time for me to graduate and for Jonny and I to move to Derby ready for him to start his work placement. We were only in Derby for a short three months but we made sure to make the most of our time there. My favourite trip we had when we were living in Derby was our visit to Monkey Forest, it was an amazing day full of laughter and monkey selfies!

Following from Jonny's training in Derby, we headed to Bristol for a year whilst he continued with his work placement. I think we'll both agree that we much prefer living in the north, so again, we got through the year, trying to make the most of our time there. My favourite memory of Bristol was definitely our visit to the Foodies Festival; it was the most perfect day filled with laughter, sunshine, drinks and lots of good food. 




Two and a half years later, we are back living up north in a place that feels like home to us, the place that we first met, and a place where we share so many wonderful memories together. I can't wait to continue making many more happy memories here with someone who is not only my best friend, but my amazing boyfriend too; I can't wait to see what the future will bring for us both!


Edit: This post was taken from my old blog. We have now been together for 5 years!

No comments

Post a Comment